The BC Organic Grower is received by all members of organizations belonging to the Certified Organic Associations of British Columbia (COABC). The BC Organic Grower is published quarterly by COABC. Subscribe online!
Editor: Darcy Smith
Layout & Design: Moss Dance
Letters & Submissions: We welcome letters to the Editor (300 words maximum) and articles (1,000 words maximum). Letters to the Editor are published at the discretion of the editor, based on relevance and suitability. Please submit to Darcy Smith, Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
The print edition of the BC Organic Grower is a great platform for advertising your product, farm, or service – check out our advertising rates and information for more information. For general information or to contact your local Certifying Body, contact the COABC office, or visit the COABC website.
Products advertised in BC Organic Grower are not necessarily approved for use by organic farmers/processors. Please consult the permitted substance list, CAN/32.3.11 for guidance. Your CB has the final authority for approval of inputs.
COABC’s approach to food production is based on care for the earth. We recognize that as human beings, we are one creature among many that are all inter-related and interdependent. We are part of an organic movement that embraces a wide diversity of activities and enterprises related to the organic production of food and encompass all sizes of operations. While one of the tools we use is a regulatory framework to permit exports, our priority is the establishment and maintenance of local food systems. We accept the principles of organic farming and processing identified by the International Federation of Organic Agricultural Movements (IFOAM) and engage in research of appropriate techniques to enable us to put them all into practice.
The British Columbia Organic sector strives to ensure high quality products in sufficient quantity produced under safe working conditions. Organic farmers work to nurture living, healthy soil, biological diversity, ecological harmony using sustainable practices and renewable resources including healthy animals and natural livestock socialization. The sector as a whole supports integrated, diversified farms which receive adequate farmer returns.
The Certified Organic Associations of British Columbia (COABC) is an umbrella association representing organic certifying agencies in the province. COABC is empowered by the British Columbia Organic Agricultural Products Regulation under the British Columbia Food Choice and Disclosure Act to implement an organic certification accreditation province-wide. COABC was incorporated under the Society’s Act in March, 1993.
The certification accreditation program is an industry and government partnership program which is industry – driven and industry – regulated, with government providing oversight authority. The main objectives of the program are to provide consumer confidence in the organic product certification, to assist producers to increase market share, and to support regional development of organic food production, processing and marketing.
- To promote organic agriculture and to provide education on organic agriculture and organic foods;
- To represent members in matters relating to the Agri-Food Choice and Quality Act of British Columbia;
- To develop and administer an organic certification accreditation program for members;
- To grant permission for the use of the phrase “British Columbia Certified Organic” and program symbol on agricultural product labels certified by members;
- To ensure there is a pool of qualified verification officers;
- To facilitate research and marketing activities on behalf of member organizations;
- To provide information to the public on behalf of the members;
- To develop and maintain an approved list of materials and standards for use in organic Agricultural products certified by members; and
- To be responsible for incidental matters related to the above-referenced activities.
For more information, please visit COABC online.